Definitions of Zionism By Zionist Groups
Back to Definitions of Zionism - Introduction
Here are some links to definitions of Zionism by Jewish and Zionist Groups and Web sites. We are not responsible for the ideological content or historical or linguistic accuracy of these definitions.
Zionism, the national liberation movement of the Jewish people, brought about the
establishment of the State of Israel, and views a Jewish, Zionist, democratic and secure State of Israel to be the
expression of the common responsibility of the Jewish people for its continuity and future.
The foundations of Zionism are:
1. The unity of the Jewish people, its bond to its historic homeland Eretz Yisrael, and the centrality of the State of Israel and Jerusalem, its capital, in the life of the nation;
2. Aliyah to Israel from all countries and the effective integration of all immigrants into Israeli Society.
3. Strengthening Israel as a Jewish, Zionist and democratic state and shaping it as an exemplary society with a unique moral and spiritual character, marked by mutual respect for the multi-faceted Jewish people, rooted in the vision of the prophets, striving for peace and contributing to the betterment of the world.
4. Ensuring the future and the distinctiveness of the Jewish people by furthering Jewish, Hebrew and Zionist education, fostering spiritual and cultural values and teaching Hebrew as the national language;
5. Nurturing mutual Jewish responsibility, defending the rights of Jews as individuals and as a nation, representing the national Zionist interests of the Jewish people, and struggling against all manifestations of anti-Semitism;
6. Settling the country as an expression of practical Zionism.
World Zionist Organization
"The 28th Zionist Congress, meeting in Jerusalem 1968, adopted the five points of the
"Jerusalem Program" as the aims of Zionism today. They are:
1. The unity of the Jewish People and the centrality of Israel in Jewish life;
2. The ingathering of the Jewish People in its historic homeland, Eretz Israel, through Aliyah from all countries;
3. The strengthening of the State of Israel which is based on the prophetic vision of justice and peace:
4. The preservation of the identity of the Jewish People through the fostering of Jewish and Hebrew education and of Jewish spiritual and cultural values;
5. The protection of Jewish rights everywhere."
World Zionist Organization
"Every people has the right to live in freedom and develop its own culture, language and
society. Jews are people like any other people. The Jewish people is a people like any other. We, the Jewish
people, have the right to self-determination in our own national home, where we can speak our own language and develop
our own culture. Those are the basic ideas of Zionism.
Belief in the centrality of Israel in Jewish historical & religious experience.
http://www.jajz-ed.org.il/100/index.html www.jafi.org.il/education/hasbara/glossary.html Jewish Agency for Israel - Zionism Definition (JAFI)
Zionism stands for a safe and secure Israel a nation open to all Jews seeking both refuge and a Jewish homeland, the preservation of Judaism and the Jewish people and the centrality of Israel in Jewish life all over the world. Anti-Defamation League (ADL)
Mount Zion is an ancient Hebrew designation for Yerushalayim (Jerusalem). In Biblical times
it began to symbolize the national homeland. The goal of Zionism is the political and spiritual renewal of the
Hebrew-Israelite people in their ancestral homeland.
(Used to be at Derech Torah Web site)
Next - Definitions of Zionism by non-Zionists
See also - A History of Zionism and the Creation of Israel - A detailed history from the Zionist point of view that discusses and addresses some criticisms of Zionism.
Copying this page
Materials on this page, including original materials created by Zionism-Israel.com, are in the public domain. To our knowledge works of others that were cited are in the public domain. If you use or cite this material, please credit http://www.zionism-israel.com Zionism and Israel Information and History Center
Please tell us about your favorite links and we will review them for inclusion.
Sister sites http://zionism.netfirms.com Zionism Pages and Zionism On the Web
Zionism - Definition and Brief History - A balanced article that covers the definitions and history of Zionism as well as opposition to Zionism and criticisms by Arabs, Jewish anti-Zionists.
Labor Zionism - Early History and Critique - Contribution of Labor Zionism to the creation of the Jewish state, and problems of Labor Zionism in a changing reality.
A History of Zionism and the Creation of Israel- A detailed history from the Zionist point of view that discusses and addresses some criticisms of Zionism.
The US Library of congress has a comprehensive and balanced set of articles about Zionism:
Zionist Precursors - US Library of Congress
Political Zionism - US Library of Congress
Cultural Zionism - US Library of Congress
Labor Zionism - US Library of Congress
Revisionist Zionism - US Library of Congress
Israel Advocacy handbook
History of Zionism and the Creation of Israel
Googletestad - What is it, and why it is important for us
ZioNation - Zionism-Israel Web Log Israel News Israel: like this, as if Christian Zionism Albert Einstein Bible Palestine Nakba 1948 Israel Independence - Birth of a Nation Six Day War War of Independence History of Zionism Zionism FAQ Zionism Israel Center Maps of Israel Jew Zionism and its Impact Israel Christian Zionism Site Map